The application of hydrolyzed collagen for the promotion of overall wellness and quality of life has increased over the past few years. Humans can produce 10 of the 20 amino acids; the rest must come from nutrition. The body will degrade over time without these essential nutrients.
Hydrolyzed collagen is unique in its amino acid structure. It is derived from bovine bone and cartilage. Hydrolyzed collagen contains 20 amino acids, predominantly glycine, proline and hydroxyproline which together represent around 50% of the total amino acid content.
Amino acids play a central role as building blocks of proteins and are essential to the cells in our body. The amino acids are collectively beneficial to the cells of our body with respect to promoting the health of our body: blood cell regulation, connective tissue, hair, skin, muscles, joints and ligaments.
Hydrolyzed collagen has been used for years in cooking as well as improving hair quality. In addition, it is easily digestible because of its unique biochemical structure. This makes this important source of protein readily available to the body for its many important functions.
Collagen is the building block of connective tissue in the body. Claims that have been reported: promote fat burning-weight loss, increasing lean body mass-improve body composition, skin toning, joint support-less pain, increased energy and feeling of overall wellness. While there may not be studies to support all claims there are articles that provide evidence to support the use of hydrolyzed collagen for body composition, joint pain and anti-aging. (7-12). More research needs to be done.
The most common types of collagen found in the human body are I, II, III and IV. Type II is the major component of joint cartilage. Type II collagen may be beneficial in relieving pain associated with arthritis (3).
Hydrolyzed collagen is safe when used orally and has not shown any significant food or drug interactions. It has been used in cosmetic products and may cause occasional dermatitis. Caution should be always be used with anyone with known allergy/sensitivity to any ingredient of any product.
Hydrolyzed collagen is almost a perfect protein that works with the body naturally. It is easily digested and is absorbed quickly for the body to use. It is a special blend of amino acids that contributes to metabolic pathways providing the building blocks that provide optimum function and wellness. It is overall safe with little known side effects when taken orally. More studies need to be done but there is literature to support the use of hydrolyzed collagen as a supplement.
1. Safety: International Journal of Toxicology, Sept/Oct 1985, 4:199-221. best multi collagen powder walmart
2. Collagen supplements do they work?-A science based review; Agro Foo Industries; vol. 23; July/August 2012.
3. Collagen Type II, National Standard Professional Monograph, Copyright 2013.
4. Journal of the International Society of Sports Medicine, 2013, 10:35.
6. Livestrong.com; “What is Hydrolyzed Collagen?” August 6, 2013.
7. Hydrolyzed collagen improves bone metabolism and biomechanical parameters in ovariectomized mice: an in vitro and in vivo study. Bone 11/2009; 46(3):827-3
8. Enhanced Bone Remodeling: A nutritional intervention study with hydrolyzed collagen in pre-pubertal Spanish children: influence on bone modeling biomarkers.Journal of pediatric endocrinology & metabolism: JPEM 01/2011; 24(3-4):147-53
9. Preserved Lean Body Mass: “Effects of whey and fortified collagen hydrolysate protein supplements on nitrogen balance and body composition in older women”. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 06/2009; 109(6):1082-7.